No written recipe can be 100 percent accurate. No matter how carefully a recipe is written, the judgment of the cookis still the most important factor in a preparation turning out well.
A cook’s judgment is based on experience, on an under-standing of the raw materials available, & on knowledge of Basic Cooking Principles & Food Science.
In the twenty first century, chefs have significantly improved their knowledge not just of cooking theory but also of the science behind it.
And for principles and methods that lie behind the recipes we use, professional cooking has been based on procedures & methods rather than only on recipes.
This category deals with basic principles. You will learn about what happens to food when it is heated, about how food is cooked by different methods, & about rules of seasoning and flavoring.
It’s important to understand the Science of Food & Cooking so you can successfully apply these principles in the kitchen.
Therefore any cook should know and Identify the following principles:
- The important components of foods & what happens to them when they’re cooked.
- The methods in which heat is transferred to food in order to cook it.
- The factors or changes in cooked foods that determine doneness & factors that affect cooking times.
- The advantage of boiling or simmering in a covered pot & The situations in which a pot should not be covered during simmering or boiling.
- Cooking temperature that affects the doneness characteristics of a food item.
- The differences between moist-heat cooking methods, dry-heat cooking methods, & dry-heat cooking methods using fat.
- Basic cooking method used in the commercial kitchens.
- The properties that determine the quality of a deep-fried product.
- The steps in the process of cooking sous vide & Safety guidelines for cooking sous vide.
- Difference between a seasoning and a flavoring ingredient & examples of each.
- The appropriate times for adding seasoning ingredients to the cooking process in order toachieve optimal results.
- The appropriate moments for adding flavoring ingredients to the cooking process in order to achieve optimal results.
- The guidelines for using herbs and spices in cooking.
LINKS: Photo by Maddi Bazzocco on Unsplash